Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Creme Caramel

2007_01170176

Another variant of custard dessert.

What so good about creme caramel is the super fine texture and the creamy sensation inside. It is so smooth it melts in the mouth.
When made the caramel, I was a bit nervous , worried that the sugar would burnt. But it turned out nice actually, it was like a lovely pond of dark toffee caramel.


I used Femina's recipe for this creme. Yup,I am such a fan of Femina's recipes. They are so reliable. My mom has been collecting their recipes since late 70's. She gave em to me, and thankfully I've never stumble upon a lousy recipe until now.

My only complaint about their recipes is, for sweet meals ;whether desserts,cake or snacks, well i'd say they're not sweet enough. Not that a have a sweet tooth though . But really, this recipe for instance, I think more sugar should be better.

Back to the caramel, I found the caramel a bit bitter. I don't know if lemon or lime juice works to counter the bitterness -I read another recipe using the juice.

Creme Caramel

You will need:

175 gr sugar

50 ml water

2 egg yolks

4 eggs

50 gr sugar

600 ml milk

1/8 tsp vanilla powder

For the caramel:

Put the sugar and 1 tbsp of water in a saucepan and place it over a medium heat until it melts and turns to brown-yellow color. Add the rest of the water, give it a little shake until they all melt. Remove the pan from heat.

Now that you got your caramel, pour it into souffle dish or whatever you're using I don't really care :p. Put them aside.

For the custard:

Whisk eggs and sugar until combined. Add milk and vanilla powder, and stir again. Strain and put the custard into the souffle dish already filled with caramel. Leave it for 30 mins.

Place the souffle dish in the roasting tin and pour in hot water 1/3 of the way up the dish. Put them in preheated oven (200C) for 50 mins or until done. Serve chilled.

2007_01170173

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home